Kamis, 13 Oktober 2016

Lite Turkey Meatloaf With Sweet Tomato Topping

Lite Turkey Meatloaf, meatloaf, sweet tomato topping, turkey meatloaf, turkey meatloaf recipe

I guess you could say that although I like meatloaf, it isn’t something I eat on a regular basis. It’s hearty and homey, but definitely on the heavy side.

I decided that if I was going to make it, I was going to do it my way. A little lighter than the average “loaf” and with veggies that were easy to find in my kitchen!

As I was searching for a recipe I came across this Spicy Turkey Meat Loaf from cooking light and it sounded delicious! I followed most of the instructions and made a few modifications of my own.

I couldn’t believe the result! It was my own little meat lovers dream! And the best part was light, healthy and delicious. I cannot wait for you to try it!

Serving size: 2 slices. Under 200 calories per serving.

my meat lovers masterpiece!

Here’s what you’ll need:

1 tablespoon butter. (I was going for light and low in calories so I used this light butter from Land O’Lakes. It’s fabulous and has half the calories of regular butter).

2 cups chopped onion. (I used a yellow onion for a little sweetness)

1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms

3 garlic cloves, chopped

3/4 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)

1/4 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth

3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce

1 tablespoon Sriracha. I didn't do this step only because I wasn’t sure how spicy it would turn out. If you love spicy dishes, definitely include it. Mine was quite amazing without it and could be eaten the next day for lunch without the kick from the spice.

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 1/2 pounds ground turkey breast. (I bought this extra lean package of Jennie-O 99% fat free turkey that comes in 1.25 pound portions. It was extremely light and low in calories and tasted DELICIOUS!)

1 large egg, lightly beaten
Cooking spray

1/2 cup ketchup. (I LOVE ketchup and it has a LOT of sugar in it, so I used this reduced sugar ketchup from Heintz. It also only has 5 calories per serving so it’s especially great if you’re watching your weight!)

1 tablespoon brown sugar

1/8 teaspoon dry mustard

1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350°.

Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, mushrooms, and garlic to pan; cook 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; cool 5 minutes.

Combine mushroom mixture, panko, and next 8 ingredients (through egg) in a large bowl; stir well to combine. Shape turkey mixture into a 9 x 5–inch rectangle on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray.

Combine ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, and nutmeg in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Spread ketchup mixture evenly over top of meat loaf; bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until a thermometer registers 160°.

My oven took a bit longer than 40 minutes so if yours does too, don’t worry!

Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy !


EmoticonEmoticon